We are a small design company based in downtown San Francisco. We design everyday objects to help people simplify their lives and optimize the use of small spaces. Our first product, Lumio lamp, is the best-selling lighting product at MoMA design store (among other museum design stores). We're expanding globally and currently available in Japan and Hong Kong. Next up: France and UK. Check us out at HelloLumio.com. Don't be fooled, we're not only designing lamps (although it's keeping us very busy right now).
About the Role
The ideal candidate is someone looking to join an early stage start-up and collectively drive the business and your own professional success. This generalist job is a great way to get an up close and personal perspective on a start-up that has growing traction with major brands around the world. Just as with every early team member to date at Lumio, we anticipate this role starting with a focused scope, but growing in responsibility and range depending on your interests, skill sets, and company growth.
- Customer relations. You'll be the voice of the company. Provide our customers and community with outstanding support via email — both reactively and proactively. Troubleshoot customer issues and find quick and sustainable solutions. Identify areas for improvement based on customer feedback; acting on solution and creating actionable reports to share with larger team. Help manage our customer loyalty and retention program. Be a problem solver: turning stressful/contentious situations into opportunities to help customers.
- Internal communications. Work closely with our operations team to ensure operational efficiency and that customer requests are being met. Communicate clearly with all team members in order to find solutions for customers’ needs.
- Content creation. Writing blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and material for social media channel.
- Social media marketing. Help create, manage and grow the company’s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and other strategically relevant online properties.
- Events and event planning. Help organize different events, pop-ups and planning meetups to engage and grow our community.
What we are looking for
- Solid academic background in a related field with 2-3 years relevant industry experience. A degree in journalism, communications or English is preferred (though not a requirement).
- Passion for delivering an exceptional customer experience. Empathy and attention to detail with respect to customer needs.
- Impeccable communication skills, both spoken and written, and a passion for building relationships. A background in journalism or experience with writing is a plus.
- A can-do attitude: No task is too small or too daunting.
- Outgoing personality. You'll be working and networking during events so you should be comfortable introducing yourself to strangers.
- Social media experience. Experience with social media and understands what engages people across social media platforms.
- Have an eye and interest in good design.
- Willingness to work around the clock. Providing great customer support means you need to be there for them. The job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to community members outside of work hours as needed.
- Excitement to help come up with new ideas for events and other community engagement channels.
- Great time management skills, thrives on multi-tasking (but still have focus for each task) and don't easily get stressed under pressure.
- Can joke with class or communicate with compassion. We need someone who is relaxed, but professional in their verbal and written communication skills.
What we offer you
- Huge potential growth into a manager role with the company. We prefer to promote within the company.
- You'll be working with a wide variety of interesting people and companies from Fortune 500 leaders, artists, photographer, film makers to top notch brands.
- Be involved in discussions about how to build and maintain a top-notch customer experience.
- Work in an inspiring environment - no cubicles in sight!
Be in touch
Please reach out to email@example.com with a short story why you'd be the perfect fit and make sure to put "Career: Assistant/Community Relations" on the subject line. Share with us your past experience and why Lumio. We’d love to learn more about you!
Make sure to include the following in your email:
Resume highlighting relevant experience
Cover letter including:
- Reason for wanting to join the Lumio team
- A brief description of a favorite design object/space (100 words or less)
- A short writing sample: please describe an exceptional customer service experience you have had, give us all the details.